Following a two-stage evaluation procedure, the Commission for Technology and Innovation CTI has eleven national thematic networks (NTNs) in its funding programme. These NTNs will receive funding in the period 2017-2020.
The following NTNs are receiving funding:
- Carbon Composites e.V. Schweiz (existing)
- Inartis (existing)
- Innovative Oberflächen (existing)
- Swiss Biotech (existing)
- Swiss Food Research (existing)
- Swiss Wood Innovation Network (existing)
- Swissphotonics (existing)
- Verein Netzwerk Logistik (existing)
- Additive Manufacturing – AM Network (new)
- Swiss Alliance for Data-Intensive Services (data + services) (new)
- Virtual Environments Interaction and Simulation Network (new)
All existing NTNs successfully qualified for a second funding period of up to four years. Three new NTNs were able to win over the expert panel composed of commission members from KTT Support, along with commission members from the four R&D funding areas. Funding for these new NTNs was approved for four years by KTT Support. The NTNs in question are working on topical issues (e.g. additive manufacturing, Industry 4.0; the digital economy; interactive and imaging technologies), which will result in important innovations in the Swiss economy. Further details regarding the competences and services of the three new NTNs will be published on the CTI website by the beginning of 2017.
The existing NTNs already have their own websites, which can be accessed using the following link
NTNs receive an annual payment from the CTI to support their activities. The level of that payment is determined on a case-by-case basis and ranges from CHF 200,000 to 400,000 a year. Depending on what development stage the NTN is at, the amount consists of a basic grant and a performance-related component. A detailed description can be found in the comprehensive 2016 KTT Support document (NTN Call Concept 2016 – not in English).